Friday, October 2, 2009

LG 55LH90 Outstanding LCD TV with LED Backlighting

I bought this TV from our local BestBuy. I had been looking at the Samsung edge-lit LED/LCD line. The LG TV rep happened to be at the Fort Worth store, and he was really helpful. I've had the TV now for three four days, and I couldn't be happier.

The TV is used in a well-lit living area, making the matte screen useful. I have looked at a LOT of TVs, and if you're worried about the matte screen diminishing picture quality, don't be. It kills reflections very effectively. The picture is gorgeous, regardless of source (LG BD390 Blu-ray player and a Dish Network 722 receiver in my case). Beautiful color, black blacks. Try the THX picture mode - it looks VERY realistic. My mom had a Panasonic plasma TV, and this is a better picture.

Worth buying just for the futuristic standby/on power light; can be disabled if you're not as fond of it as I am.

The sound/lip synch issue with HDMI feeds has gotten a lot of attention. Using the TV audio, I had an initial problem with the Dish receiver till I tweaked the receiver's settings. Same with BD390 player. Now all is well with either HDMI TV audio or external audio. I do think HD audio, especially with HDMI feeds, are problematic sometimes (too often). I understand that a solution is coming in the form of some sort of forced sync between HDMI audio and video in the HDMI standard. Hope so. With external audio, an audio delay box might be useful.

I am sitting here watching the Dish HD NBC Today show feed. It's stunning. I am a biologist, and I recently watched the Blu-ray version of Planet Earth. It nearly brought me to tears, it was so gorgeous.

Buy and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment